Thursday, April 11, 2013

Metta World Peace: Stupid Is As Stupid Does

Each week I compare my impressions of a player or team to statistics, to see if they confirm the "eye test." I first started out by looking at Bobcats legend Byron Mullens. This week I'm going to be looking at the NBA's resident psychopath, Ron Artest.

Most of you have heard of that crazy dude who plays next to Kobe named Metta World Peace. Actually I refuse to call him that out of principle, so I will be referring to him as Ron Artest for the entirety of this column.

Does this look like a guy who calls himself "Metta World Peace"? Yes, yes it does.

Artest is known for many things: tough defense, tireless hustle, and uncontrollable temper flares that would make the Hulk blush. He's calmed down in recent years, but let's not forget that this is the guy who WENT INTO THE STANDS TO PUNCH OUT AN INNOCENT MAN. I cannot emphasize this strongly enough. Sometimes his temper just gets the better of him:



Despite all that, he can still be a fairly effective basketball player. While his game still relies on tough defense/grittiness/sheer intimidation, he has added a bit of an offensive game in recent years. The most noticeable improvement is the addition of a corner 3, which I'm 100% sure Kobe made him learn. Either way, it has become a weapon for the Lakers offense. And Ron also likes being able to do this after he makes them:


So how effective is he? I doubt he's tops in the league, but I'd be willing to bet that Artest is shooting at least 40% on these corner 3's. C'mon stats, back me up...ouch. 33% isn't gonna cut it, Ron. I looked at last year to try and back me up...and he was exactly 33% in these situations last year as well. Damnit.

EYE TEST: BUSTED

Ok, now let's just all appreciate the absurdity of a man that once thanked his hood before his family and witnessed a man get murdered with a broken off table leg.

You gotta be kidding me with that last story. SAY QUEENSBRIDGE!



No comments:

Post a Comment