Tuesday, April 16, 2013

The Tweener: Pi, GIs, and the fat lady singing

On February 26 I wrote an inaugural Tweener column. It's that time of the week again! My apologies for opting out of this column last week. This week, well, I've watched more than a couple movies recently. Just so everyone knows, THERE ARE AT LEAST MINOR SPOILERS ABOUT LIFE OF PI, GI JOE 2, and LES MISERABLES in the following post. Just FYI. Ok...anyway, I warned you, so if you read something you didn't want to know, don't blame me if you end up like this:



I don't even know what that is from. Ok here we go:

What's in a name?
Saturday night I, like all the cool kids, chose to watch Life of Pi with my roommates.  There's plenty to discuss about this movie, but afterwards we focused mostly on the alternate story, and what that really means about the point of the movie. It also launched us into a discussion about "why I hate movies that don't have a concrete ending, because I watch movies to distract myself from my life and pretend there's something else good/cool going on." One of my roommates noted that Inception "was so meta, because it was all about planting ideas in the mind, and then at the end it plants the idea that it may not all be real in your mind!" Fine...but THAT ISN'T A RESOLUTION I LIKE.  At any rate, it made me wonder exactly what "meta" meant, and why it was Metta World Peace's first name.  Turns out, "meta" and "metta" are different things, but here's the kicker: neither "meta" ("a term used to characterize something that is characteristically self-referential"...what?) nor "metta" (a Buddhist term meaning "lovingkindness"...yes one word) really make sense as a part of the name or phrase Metta World Peace. Long story short, I've decided I'm with Brian and will only refer to MWP as Ron Artest. Although if Ron Artest was a Pokemon I'd be ok with calling him "Metta" and having his first attack be Confusion.

What could have been (but probably wouldn't have been anyway)

Monday night (sorry that I'm giving you a play-by-play of my evenings) I was effectively dragged into going to see GI Joe: Retaliation.  Since I only saw the first GI Joe once (which is saying something about how bad it was since it's always on TV, and we all know I am a master at following 4 different movies-on-TV at once...that's actually not a joke), I had no idea who was retaliating against whom and for what. What I do know is that on one side of the battle was a strike force called the Cobras. Somehow this, combined with the black garb of the character Snake-Eyes, reminded me of the Black Mamba. I don't think that's too much of a stretch? So please join me in a moment of silence for the injury Kobe suffered and the remarkably slim playoff success chances that went down with him (if they can manage to make it to the playoffs):


Thank you for your help, Kobe.

Quick and painless

The other movie I (re)watched last week was Les Miserables.  ACTUAL SPOILER ALERT.

The thing about this movie is that everybody dies.  Actually though, out of the dozens of characters we are introduced to, all but of four of them die.  This would be bad if they all died at the barricades in a big explosion or something like that, but many of the deaths are slow and painful and vivid...and we see them all happen individually. We've only just begun to empathize with Eponine, or to love Gavroche, or hell even to understand the conflict Javert is going through when their life ends with some painful scene or smack. (Actually though - why was the smack in Javert's SPOILER ALERT suicide scene when he hits the dam necessary??)

I guess what I'm saying is I prefer that the deaths in entertainment pieces I watch not be drawn out, especially if I just got attached. The good news is, I am most certainly not attached to the Milwaukee Bucks, and I fully expect them to receive a comprehensive drubbing from the Miami Heat in the first round of the playoffs, especially after watching them basically play no defense on Ty Lawson to lose to the Denver Nuggets last night (despite getting a couple very fortunate calls from the refs). Oh and also they're below .500 on the season...hah!

For the record...I do hope two teams at least make the Heat sweat getting out of the East...especially if it means Derrick Rose coming back and hitting one of these: (and yes, I intentionally found a clip that included the Bucks):


No comments:

Post a Comment